This week in Polk City
Monday, February 8, 2016
- City Hall: City Council Meeting
6:30 pm. City Hall. Meetings are held in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 112 3rd St. All meetings are open to the public and anyone interested in them is encouraged to attend. Agendas and minutes >
Tuesday, February 9
- Library: Story Time
10:30 am. Join us for stories, crafts, and activities!
- Polk City Masons Prospective Members Dinner
6:30 pm. The Polk City Masons meet for dinner at 6:30 PM on Tuesday, Feb. 9; meeting for members is at 7:30 PM. Dinner is open to all prospective members. The Polk City Masonic Building is on the square next to the police station at 106 N. 3rd street. Call Jim Trotter for more information at 515-306-6342.
Wednesday, February 10
- Library: Coffee Wednesdays
10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Join us round the fireplace for a cup of coffee or iced tea.
- Pancake Dinner with the Boy Scouts FUNDRAISER
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Boy Scout Troop 89 from the North Polk community will be holding a pancake dinner at the Polk City United Methodist Church as a way to raise funds for their trip to a boy scout camp in Colorado. The dinner will be held Wed., Feb. 10 from 5:00-7:00. All in the community are welcome. There is no specific cost for the event, a free will offering can be made.
Thursday, February 11
- Library: Days for Girls Workshop
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Attendees can participate by cutting, folding, ironing, packaging and sewing. There are tasks for all ages. Days for Girls Team Members will provide instruction and guidance, sewing machines, fabric, and supplies to make and package kits during the event. Participants may bring their own sewing machines, sergers, and supplies. Donations of colorful cotton fabric and dark flannel (pre-washed if possible), panties (girl sizes 12, 14, and 16), washcloths, and Ziploc® brand gallon-size freezer bags are all welcome. Days for Girls International works to help girls stay in school and retain their dignity by providing washable feminine hygiene kits, plus sanitation and health training for those who would otherwise go without.
- Library: Sit n Stitch
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm. Bring your needlework and join us for the evening! All levels of stitchers welcome!
Library: Eight Ways to Organize Caregiving Paperwork
6:30 pm – 8:00 pm. Learn how to create emergency packets, fill out medications lists, log calls to insurance companies, organize legal documents, & other strategies to tame caregiving paperwork. Attenders will have time to ask questions & will receive a list of organizational resources.
- Polk City Arts Council Meeting
7:00 pm. At Miller Park Shelter House. Open to the public.
- Al-Anon Meeting
7:30 pm. New Al-Anon meeting Thursday at 7:30 Pm in the education wingat the United Methodist Church (drive all the way around the building to the back). Helps to deal with family members or friends with addiction or alcoholism to find understanding and support.
Friday, February 12
- Library: Men’s Friday Coffee
10:00 am – Noon. Gentlemen, drop in for some coffee and conversation. Enjoy spending time and having a few laughs or interesting discussions with other men from around the area.
- Fish Fry Fridays @ Legion Feb 12-March 18, 2016
- Daddy-Daughter Dance @ NP Feb 12 Details>
Saturday, February 13
- Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church
1701 W Jester Park Drive, Polk City
6:00 pm. Worship Service
Sunday, February 14
- Sunday Worship
- Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church
1701 W Jester Park Drive, Polk City
8:15 am. Traditional Service 9:20 am. Sunday School, Adult Bible School 10:30 am. Contemporary Service
- Hopkins Grove United Methodist Church
8:30 am Sunday Service.
9:30 am Sunday School
- Lakeside Fellowship
1400 Broadway – West Elementary, Polk City
10:00 am Sunday Services
- Polk City United Methodist Church
1421 Broadway, Polk City
8:30 am. Classic Service 10:30 am. Informal Service
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- Fish Fry Fridays @ Legion Feb 12-March 18, 2016
- Local representative Ralph Watts Boulders Inn Feb. 27 at 9:00 am.
- Chamber Awards Banquet March 15 Details >
- Celebrate North Polk Gala April 9, 2016 Website >
- Polk City Curb Side Cleanup May 14, 2016
- Sounds on the Square May 27
- Sounds on the Square June 24
- Chamber Golf Outing July 14
- Four Seasons Festival July 15 – 16, 2016 Website >
- Big Creek Bike Fest August 27
- Sounds on the Square August 27
- Trunk or Treat October 30
- Square Lighting December 6
Send in your events! email@example.com
**As always, items entered are to the best of my knowledge and I apologize for any errors. Please email announcements and items of community interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you! -Kimberly **
Do you have employees? Do you have I-9’s accurately completed for your employees? Do you have employment posters displayed in your workplace? Do you have an Employee Handbook? Do employees have job descriptions? Do you offer benefits for your employees? Have you ever had a file audit completed?
At HR Approach, LLC, we understand that your business may not have a need for a full-time Human Resource employee, or you may not have the extra resources to allocate to projects that need completed. Our goal is to provide your business with Human Resource consulting services that will in turn help your business grow. Using an outside independent consultant allows you to accomplish your long-term goals without incurring costs associated with having an internal employee for that position.
Our services comprise of:
- Defining Policies, Procedures and Practices including writing and updating employee handbooks, evaluating personnel files and collecting I-9 documentation.
- Establishing Employee Relations including assisting with day-to-day needs, coaching managers and employees, handling discipline, developing training and maintaining a performance review system.
- Developing Retention Strategies including creating an exit interview process, developing and conducting employee surveys, interviewing and creating hiring and selection tools
- Instituting Compensation and Benefits programs by conducting a review of benefit offerings, handling all benefit administrations, pricing current and new positions and creating job descriptions.
Contact Tammy Verbrugge at 515.208.0190 or email@example.com or visit www.hrapproach.com.
Attention Parents of Future North Polk Kindergarten Students:
Parents of children who will be five(5) years old on or before September 15, 2016, are requested to contact one of the the elementary schools in our district and place your child’s name on the kindergarten list for the 2016-2017 school year. It is important that students be listed as soon as possible because of planning needs. Please call Central or West Elementary at 515-984-3400
North Polk Comet Kids Preschool Information:
Please visit our website www.northpolk.org for Preschool/Pre Kindergarten information. Registration is from January 18th-March 25, 2016. If you have any questions, please call Central or West Elementary.
Valentine Flowers Menu – 2016
Floral Studio on the Square 110 W. Van Dorn St. Ste. H – Lisa 979.8966 Michelle 729.2265 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Extended studio hours…
Monday & Tuesday… 10am-3pm
Wednesday & Thursday… 8am-8pm
Sunday… 10am-1pm (local deliveries only)
- Single Rose bud vase, any color below… $14
- ½ Dozen Roses, any color below… $40
- Dozen Red Roses… $75
- Dozen Specialty Roses – red verigated, light/dark pink, hot pink, lavender, purple… $80
- 2 Dozen Roses, any color below (1 vase)… $135
- Whimsy bouquet – gerbera daisy, purple daisies, fuschia stock, hot pink mini carns & purple alstroemeria nestled in greens & fuschia 7” vase… $38
- Purple Passion bouquet – all purple tulips, iris & monte casino nestled in greens & purple 8” vase… $55
- Twisted Pink bouquet – twisted pink mini gerbera daisies with hot pink roses accented with greens & 8” pink vase … $66
- Fuschia Fantasy bouquet – fuschia gerbera daisies, hot pink roses, fuschia stock & heather accented with greens, curly willow tips & 8” fuschia vase… $74
- Star Gazer bouquet – 10 bright star gazer lilies with greens & fresh eucalyptus in a ruby red 10” vase $80
- Honey Bunny bouquet – red roses, white lilies, white stock, red gerbera daisies full of greens & 10” ruby red vase… $80
- Rainbow Bright bouquet – fabulous modern mix of bright, beautiful rainbow shaded blooms, including roses, lilies & hydrangea in a tall white glass vase… $90
- Butterfly bouquet – stunning fuschia dendrobium orchids with bright green bupleurum, curly willow branches & butterflies in a modern clear glass square vase with black river rocks… $108
- Phalaenopsis Orchid Plant… $48 Double orchid plants in a ceramic vase… $105
- 6” Blooming Azalea Plant… $34 ***** Mini 4” blooming plants, mylar balloons, Three Chicks caramels & frosted cookies available also to add on to your delivery! YUM!! *****
In town Polk City address $4
Rural Polk City address $7
Des Moines, Ankeny, Slater, Sheldahl, Bondurant, Urbandale, Johnston, Grimes, WDM, Clive, Elkhart, Altoona, Pleasant Hill & all communities within 20 mile radius of studio… $7
Local representative Ralph Watts will be at Boulders Inn in Polk City on February 27 at 9:00 am.
Click here to read a copy of his most recent newsletter >
Halley’s Academy is open to everyone for childcare so you and your sweetie can celebrate Valentine’s Day. Saturday, February 13th from 4:00pm-10:00pm. Give mom’s and dad’s time for dinner and movie. Please contact Tammy at 515-720-1980 or email@example.com for more information.
Check out this FUN Valentine’s Day Special!
60 minute massage at Sands Chiro and dinner for two (at Papa’s) for just $67.
60 minute massage session (with rose petals/chocolates)
Dinner for TWO at Papa’s (includes 2 salads, 2 pasta dinners, garlic bread and 2 drinks…wine/etc.) for just $67.
***Valentine’s Dinner special valid the 12th-14th of February!!
Contact Sands Chiro at 984-6484 to order your package!
Just want a massage?
Check out these Specials running though the end of February!
Register today for an evening of fun on April 9 that benefits the Athletic Boosters, Fine Arts Boosters and North Polk Foundation. Early bird pricing is available through March 1! Visit our website, www.celebratenorthpolk.org, for more information and registration.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and the North Polk National Honor Societies are hosting the 4th Annual Father Daughter Dance! On Friday, February 12th , all fathers, grandfathers, or any father figures are invited to bring their daughters, (Kindergarten – Fifth Grade) to the High School to boogie down and enjoy some snacks. The dance is from 6:00-8:00 and the cost is $5 per family. And don’t forget to bring a camera to capture the memories. There is no pre-registration required so make plans to bring your little sweetheart to the dance.
For the next 2 weeks a Polk City girl scout troop is collecting donations at Fareway for the ARL.
We are Cadette Troop 428, and are working on our Animal Helpers badge. The girls have decided to collect donations for the ARL as a service project as part of earning the badge.
A box is located at Fareway to collect donations. There are lists of what the ARL needs by the box for easy reference, and includes items such as animal food, pet grooming items, toys, and cleaning supplies. We will be collecting donations until Feb 12th.
Come help support the ducks and other wildlife at the annual Big Creek Ducks Unlimited Dinner. This year the venue has been changed to the Grimes Community Center located at 410 SE Main Street in Grimes. Games this year will include Plinko, Last Duck Standing, Dog Baseball (back by popular demand), Bag Toss, and a new raffle for a 6 foot ladder that will include various types of liquor called the Liquor Ladder game. There will be an assortment of prints, Composite Park Bench, Small Gas Grill, Leaf Blower, 3 TVs, over 14 guns and many more items that will be on the raffle tables, game prizes, and the live and silent auction. There will be over 45 items between the live and silent auction.
Come join us for a night of fun and help the ducks. Tickets maybe purchased online at www.ducks.org/iowa/events and then select Big Creek, or call Chad Sparks at 515-707-2565. Ticket prices are $45 for Single, $60 for a Couple and $250 for a Sponsor. Children 17 and under will be $25. Each of these ticket include a year membership, Ducks Unlimited Catalog, and other items.
Each year the Polk City Chamber of Commerce recognizes a Business of the Year and a Citizen of the Year. Please take time to read these two forms and nominate a business and/or someone that you feel is worthy of receiving the award. The deadline to make your nominations is February 19th, 2016. We will form a committee to vote on the winners the following week. On March 15th at 5:00-6:30pm we will hold a banquet at Boulder’s Inn to recognize the winners. This has been a great event in the past so mark your calendars!
Business of the Year form
Citizen of the Year form
Submit to Polk City Chamber at firstname.lastname@example.org
Polk City Chiropractic is conducting a FOOD DRIVE through February 29th! We will be accepting non-perishable food donations in lieu of payment for first day services for new patients! All donations will go to the Food Bank of Iowa! Restrictions apply, call us at 515-984-6300 for details!